Updates!

Beer Drinkers,

Please check out the new links on the right-hand toolbar. There, you will find the most amazing beers that I have experienced. These are beers that I suggest you get your shaky hands around before you die (i.e. asap). Please send me your comments so that I may post them on the site. Thank you.

Cheers!

Jan 30, 2009

Day 30: Old Scratch Amber Lager

Name: Old Scratch Amber Lager

Brewer: Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Amber Lager

Alcohol Content: 5.5%


Review: This review comes with a disclaimer. I sampled it after drinking, oh, 5 or 6 other drinks. I keep beer notes on my phone when I sample beers at bars and restaurants, and somehow I managed to write this one down as Flying Dog Amber Ale. There is no FD Amber Ale. I can't blame that one on T9, though there are some other blatant typos as well, so I was probably 6 ways from sober. My night did end with me smoking a random cigar in my friend's 10 degree F sunroom and then sneaking out with a couple of her Augusten Burroughs books... so was I sober? You make the call. What's more is that I ended up buying a 6 pack of the Amber lager for a superbowl party a few days later thinking that I had never tried it before.

From what I can read on my phone, I thought this beer had a good hop malt balance with little to no hoppy bite. I thought it was very drinkable for an amber ale (again I thought it was an ale at the time). Though I also thought it was kind of lame for an ale. My second tasting, at the superbowl party yielded the same results. This time I knew it was a lager, and while it's fuller bodied than most other lagers I still just can't seem to get too enthusiastic about it. I'm just not a big lager guy. Sorry. It's a good lager for the ale-averse, but purists of either style might not fully embrace this beer. Still, if given no other choice, I'd gladly replace every Bud, Miller, and Coors tap with the Flying Dog Lager and never look back.

Rating: 3/5

Recommend? MAYBE. If you like lagers and want to get adventurous, check it out.

No comments: