Updates!

Beer Drinkers,

Please check out the new links on the right-hand toolbar. There, you will find the most amazing beers that I have experienced. These are beers that I suggest you get your shaky hands around before you die (i.e. asap). Please send me your comments so that I may post them on the site. Thank you.

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2009

Day 38: Old Brown Dog Ale

Name: Old Brown Dog Ale

Brewer: Smuttynose Brewing Co - Portsmouth, NH

Style: English Brown Ale

Alcohol Content: 5.9%


Review: A brown (or deep amber) ale. Any head on this beer dissipates fast into a calm, flat ale. If I didn't know that it was a take on an English style brown ale I would have thought it was purely American; It doesn't seem to have that 'English' flavor to it. There's a tad bit more hops than most English brown ales I've tried, and more noticeable alcohol content as well. I view the American style quite favorably. The malty aroma is a part caramel, and part buttery and nutty. The mouth feel is smooth, with most of the bite coming from the alcohol rather than the hops. I wouldn't quite say that this beer is sweet, but that toasty, nutty, caramel aroma appears in the beer's flavor and lasts all the way through the finish. It's very drinkable, both cold and warm, although I do prefer it colder. The English Ales seem to taste better warm. 

On a side note, I stumbled upon this beer in college and had fond feelings towards it. For no real reason I haven't had this beer in years, so I was excited to give it another taste. Coincidentally, Paul recently recommended it to me. He said enjoyed it. I offered a taste to my roommate who also happens to be a lager drinker. He enjoyed it as well. This pleases me. I think the Old Brown Dog Ale is a fine beer, and I'm happy to know that it's being enjoyed by people with varying tastes.

Rating: 4.25/5

Recommend? YES

No comments: