Updates!

Beer Drinkers,

Please check out the new links on the right-hand toolbar. There, you will find the most amazing beers that I have experienced. These are beers that I suggest you get your shaky hands around before you die (i.e. asap). Please send me your comments so that I may post them on the site. Thank you.

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2009

Day 73: Hop 15

Name: Hop 15

Brewer: Port Brewing - San Marcos, CA

Style: Ale

Alcohol Content: 10%


Review: oh boy oh boy oh boy. The moment we have all been waiting for. Or at least the moment I have been waiting for. To paint the picture, I was two beers deep at my friend's lasagna dinner before cracking open the Hop 15. I was very very pleased. I often pursue very rich hoppy ales, so when I stumble across a very good one I get really really excited. The Hop 15 is brewed by Port Brewing Co, a sister company to The Lost Abbey (notice how they're both brewed in San Marcos CA?). Not only did these bastards set up shop in perhaps some of the prettiest landscape in the world, they also brew world-class beers. I can only hate them for not shipping their beers further East, but my hating ends there. And really, the hating only stems from jealousy. Yeah, I'm shallow like that. Anyway, the Hop 15 pours like a thick ale, with an Amber color. You can't help but notice the super strong fruity caramel malt aroma. You might even want to be cautious and waft the aroma to your nose instead of sticking your shnoz right up to the bottle. The way they taught you in High School chemestry. Or, just skip the smelling and start pounding it. The flavor is not subdued at all. It's in your face hops and malt. The balance between the two is downright perfect for me - 100% Hops + 100% Malt = 200% beer. I feel like I could fuel my car with this stuff if I was in a pinch. And the finish remains strong as well. It leaves that simple sweet hoppy flavor all over your tongue. Really, I can't describe how much I liked this beer. I seem to be fumbling for the right adjectives and metaphors today. If you're on a diet, I don't recommend this beer. I'm going to estimate the calorie count to be somewhere on the order of 350-400 calories per 12 oz bottle. Calories and flavor go hand in hand. The Hop 15 seems to pack a punch without having to resort to any esoteric brewing techniques or ingredients. That's what makes this beer great. If you happen to find yourself in LA, San Diego, or somewhere in between, then you must must must grab some pizza from pizza port and sample some of the beers. I'm not even asking you to try the Hop 15. Try any or all of their beers. You shouldn't be disappointed. Here's where you can find Pizza Port's locations

http://www.pizzaport.com/map.htm

And if you find yourself in The Pacific or Mountain time zones, then you have absolutely no excuse to not drop by the local alcohol retailer and pick up a bottle of Hop 15.

Rating: 4.75/5

Recommend? YES

No comments: