Updates!

Beer Drinkers,

Please check out the new links on the right-hand toolbar. There, you will find the most amazing beers that I have experienced. These are beers that I suggest you get your shaky hands around before you die (i.e. asap). Please send me your comments so that I may post them on the site. Thank you.

Cheers!

Mar 15, 2009

Day 74: Ten Fidy

Name: Ten Fidy

Brewer: Oskar Blues Brewery - Lyons, CO.

Style: Imperial Stout

Alcohol Content: 10%


Review: I don't know how a beer could possibly top the Hop 15, and I don't know what I did to deserve a night of amazing beers, but God was smiling down on me that day. The Ten Fidy might be the best beer I have ever tried thus far. Hands down. Ironically, the Ten Fidy is sold in cans. On the other end of the spectrum would be natty light in bottles. While the Natty should be poured directly into a toilet, be sure to pour the Ten Fidy in a glass. Don't drink it from the can or you'll miss out on part of the experience. Even though I was well on my way to being drunk, I still managed to type some coherent notes. First off, this beer is black. Manute Bol Black. Black Black. The aroma is characteristic of a stout with strong toasty coffee and chocolate notes. The mouth feel is - to quote my notes - "smooooooth". I wouldn't call this beer syrupy, rather rich and silky. The flavor is yet again of the coffee/chocolate malt style. And while most beers try to balance out the malt with some bitter hops, the Ten Fidy seems to accomplish this taste with the sheer force of alcohol. At 10%, it can certainly knock one on their ass. I'm fine with that. There's not place I'd rather beer with this beer than on my ass, chillin' on the deck, or watchin' the Cavs try and take game 4 from Orlando in the Eastern Finals. Yeah, it's only March, but I'm making a prediction that the Cavs are going to be down 3-1 to Orlando in the Eastern Finals in May. It's going to make me sad, even though I never watched NBA until Cleveland starting producing a team worth following. Ok people, once again if you find yourself out West, and you have to choose between buying the Hop 15 or the Ten Fidy I recommend buying both. If you have to make a choice however, just kill yourself because it's an impossible decision. If that's still not an option, then I'm just gonna have to give the Ten Fidy the edge as the best beer of all time (so far). It's just absolutely incredible.

Rating: 5/5

Recommend? YES.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Looks like you had a good stretch of beers. Does the 10% alcohol in all of these have something to do with it??? Glad to see the reviews coming back and I'll do my best to locate these!

Ben said...

I'm going to say that the 10% alcohol had a 90% chance of affecting the quality of my notes. The quality of these three beers was sort of luck. These three good ones were recommendations that I had received. If you can find any of them on the East Coast, especially the Ten Fidy, then do let me know. Sometimes Oskar Blues Brewery appears at beer tastings and events. So that might be a way to score a sample. And sorry for leaving the blog un-updated for so long. It's been a busy month. But I'm back at it now in full force.