Updates!

Beer Drinkers,

Please check out the new links on the right-hand toolbar. There, you will find the most amazing beers that I have experienced. These are beers that I suggest you get your shaky hands around before you die (i.e. asap). Please send me your comments so that I may post them on the site. Thank you.

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2009

Day 77: Orval Trappist Ale

Name: Orval Trappist Ale

Brewer: Orval - Belgium

Style: Trappist Ale

Alcohol Content: 6.9%


Review: So, take this review very lightly because I think I completely missed the point with this beer. Trappist Ales reserve that name for beers that are actually brewed by Trappist Monks. Now, imagine a sweaty trappist monk who jumped out of the shower one morning, all soaped up, and rushed downstairs to tend to his latest batch of ale. He stands, naked, delicately perched upon some open casks of ale. Sweat drips down his soapy junk sack and lands squarely in the center of the one cask of beer which will be bottled and sent to Newark, DE. One unfortunate grad student will sample this beer and curse in disgust. The Orval Trappist Ale is a highly carbonated ale which pours with incredible amounts of head. The aroma is musty and soapy. The flavor is nearly identical. Aside from a few citrus notes, this beer tastes soapy and musty. It tastes the way that rubber cement smells... just plain bad. Now some say that this could be classified as a bitter ale, and popular opinion suggests that the Orval Trappist Ale is of World Class quality( ref: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37/129/). If this is all true then clearly everything I knew about beer is wrong. :(

Rating: 0/5.

Recommend? I have no clue. I don't feel qualified to properly rate or recommend this beer.

No comments: